Tuesday 12 February 2013

BBC declares Government Horsemeat Meet

The BBC website has got a cracking headline "Government to hold horsemeat summit". I wonder who the runners and riders will be.

Will I be first past the post with this post in finding this funny? (Think you fell at the first hurdle - ed).

Given that we have a Food Standards Agency, a Health and Safety Executive and a plethora of laws and regulations regarding food handling, preparation, safety, packaging, ingredients, use by dates, use before dates etc, it does make you wonder why 'Da Government' need to get involved at all?

I know, they need to be seen to be doing something. But you can see what the outcome of this will be.  The problem will be that it is the ingredients list that is at fault, presumably if it had listed horse meat - all would be well (being a little cynical here - literary ed).

I do wonder if any ones head will roll for this? Makes you wonder what are all these organisations,  soaking up our tax pounds, doing? Can I presume that they are underpaid, under staffed and not fit for consumption?

Commentary (use the voice of Sir Peter O'Sullevan if it helps)

[Starters gun goes off in the background]
"And their off",
"Coming to the first hurdle it's neck and neck, with the 'Environment Secretary' ridden by  Owen Paterson leading the way",
"In a close second there is the Not Fit For Purpose (ridden by FS Aye), closely followed by 'It's The Way I Fill 'Em' ridden by Tess Co and 'Lasagne Delight' ridden by Finn Duss, with Al Di trailing the pack riding 'Special Spaghetti' ",
".. and their over, their all clear",
"Oh no,  there is a faller,' Not Fit For Purpose' ridden by FS Aye is down, and appears to have been trampled by the following runners. I really wouldn't want to be in his shoes"
"They're moving on quickly now to the second hurdle, with 'Environment Secretary' still leading the way",
"He really has got a firm grasp on this race",
"So they're coming to the second and it's still Environment Secretary leading the way, now by a length",
"The rest are trailing behind as 'Environment Secretary' clears the second. Very neat jump",
"Oh my, oh my, there has been a terrible pile up at the second hurdle, with all the other runners down",
"It's a massacre out there, horses falling to the left of me and horse falling to the right of me",
"Let's hope listeners, that none of the runners are hurt otherwise it will be the knackers yard for them"
"So here we are, the only horse left is coming in to the final straight, and its 'Environment Secretary' past the post"
"So I guess he really knew his way around this course"
"So I'm now handing you back to the studio, whilst I go for my well earned lunch"
"Wonder what will be on offer today?"

Final Thought

This whole episode adds a whole new meaning to the phrase, "I am off to curry the horse", (yuk - ed).

No comments:

Post a Comment