Wednesday 6 February 2013

The Pacific

This is more to do with the US TV series 'The Pacific' which I was almost given for Xmas last year (that is scary - ed). Well, to tell the truth, I was given 'Band of Brothers' from Alex, which was around 3 years late (explain late - ed).

Explanation of late 

I joined the Saunders family as an honorary member (not consul? - ed), when I married Bridget, just over three years ago (Happy Anniversary  for 16th January - ed). They do this present giving thingummyjig of 'Secret Santa' - and Alex was assigned to buy me 'Band of Brothers'. However, this was not forthcoming, the reason being escapes me, but a couple of Xmas's went past and I finally bought it for myself last year - as it was less that £20 and so what I deemed to be a bargain. Naturally after having bought it for myself Alex then bought it for me last Xmas, as is the way with things. So, when Bridget and I were out shopping in Reading the other week, we saw 'The Pacific' at another bargain price, and a quick phone call to Alex and some negotiations and Alex effectively bought that for me instead (confused yet - ed). Well it all made sense at the time.

Back on track

After that someone long aside, I am back to trying to talk about the series. Well, before I do, I need to mention the word 'miniseries' - now me being a little slow sometimes (only sometimes - ed), I read this word in the sense of 'ministries' not 'mini-series' or 'mini series', which made me sigh, yet another wonderful addition to the English Language.

However, despite that disruptive word, I managed to watch all 10 episodes within a few days. Very impressed and I rate it as excellent (bit bloody for some - ed). It showed the real horror of war and its corruptive and enduring influence on the participants. It was particularly emotional at the end to see the veteran US Marines talking about their experiences and seeing the effect it still has on them to this day.

Those US Marines fought over some of the worst terrain and in some of the worst weather in the world and intriguingly some of the most beautiful islands. Interesting to note that it was another Spielberg / Hanks production, those two seem to have got a good grasp of how to make modern 'war' films, they were both involved in 'Band of Brothers' and 'Saving Private Ryan' - which both have particularly emotive scenes of the 1944 D-Day Landings in Normandy.

I visited some of the Normandy beaches by bike back in the Summer of 1981, and it was a moving experience. If you are in that area, it is well worth a visit to get some perspective on life and death. The rows and rows of white crosses plunge deep into ones psyche and play a very sombre tune.

Reflections 

What I have taken from the above series and my reading of many books on military matters, is that who lives and who dies during warfare is apparently random. I am not a believer in any god, so I don't believe that it is him/her who sets your destiny and that your death in war is part of some grand pre-ordained scheme. It is simply a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One of the things that is mentioned time and time again by soldiers, is that they do not understand and struggle with trying to comprehend why it was their friend who died and why they survived. It maybe heartless, but I think it is just simply down to chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment