Friday 8 March 2013

Sand, Sea and Broken Tree

Appears that it is time for another painting. Been a few weeks since last painting, Charlie The Dog, now complete, don't tell my sister-in-law Heather, as it still has to make its way surreptitiously to a wall in her house.

There is a photograph, that Bridget bought me some time ago, and it is framed and on our bedroom wall, called "Driftwood, Antigua", by Ian Cumming taken 2002. I prefer to call my rendition of it Sand, Sea and Broken Tree, so I have been thinking about whether I could have a go at unpacking the artistic licence once more and having a go at capturing it in oil

Unfortunately, for you all, I managed to get so carried away with it, I failed to remember to take photo's of the painting as it progressed (damn that music box, singing along to songs made me plain forget - music ed).

So, there are just two photos, one when it was mostly done, and one when it is almost but not quite complete, still feel the urge for a little more tarting up.

So here goes, first photo of painting....

Rather late in the day first photo of oil painting

More complete picture:
Second step , closer to completion.
Reckon that the tree thickness is slightly wrong, and that the long straight branch is too long and too straight. Still unsure of the shadows. A bit more white in the cloud at the back left.

But all in all not too shabby for a few hours work.

Whilst painting, I was listening to a couple of, "Acoustic 3", CDs - some great tracks, no idea who by or the name (so that was a useful bit of information then - ed), might listen to it again, and let you know later. One that grabbed me and pulled me up/down/around for a couple of minutes. Wow.

For now, Friday evening beckons with a crooked smile on her face and a knowing look in her eye. So enjoy your weekend. When the picture is complete will add another photo for you possible delight!

Afterthought

Ian Cumming has an online portfolio where the photo I have used as the basis of this painting lives. At this point in time it is the last photo visible in the portfolio (so perhaps the oldest? - ed) 

No comments:

Post a Comment